Friday 30 May 2014

WW1

You can't have failed to notice that it's coming up to the centenary of the start of the first world war. I have to say that I'm not sure that it's something we should be commemorating. If we are going to celebrate anything to do with that episode of history we should wait till 2018 and celebrate it's end.
But that would deprive various people the opportunity to make money out of selling commemorative tat. Cynical old DZ is not surprised to see adds appearing like this one, though he is a little angry.

The add uses phrases such as "important that we never forget the sacrifices made on our behalf by the brave young soldiers" and "the 16 million who gave their lives will never be forgotten." (their highlighting).

So show your respect by buying a trinket! I think I'm going to be sick!

1 comment:

  1. My grandfather lost a leg in WW1 - ran away to be a drummer boy in the Boer war. He would not allow anyone in his house with a poppy on, I hate to think what he would say about this. I'm fairly sure this is not what he fought for.

    ReplyDelete